Last week, Reuters released photos of a rehearsal for the opening ceremony while they were “under embargo” (banned from publication before a specific date). The London-based news agency quickly acknowledged that they were sent by mistake and asked clients not to publish them.The IOC nonetheless decided that Reuters will not get media passes for the opening ceremony on 9 February. According to the South Korean news agency Yonhap, the IOC has also decided to “enforce strong penalties on media companies and their reporters who disobey embargoes of the opening and closing ceremonies.”The IOC press office said the ban imposed on Reuters was in line with penalties imposed in previous cases of embargo violations but it declined to specify what sanctions would be imposed if other media outlets violated embargoes.“These retaliatory measures targeting all media are disproportionate and unjustified,” RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “Journalists must respect professional rules but the right to censor assumed by the IOC is dangerous and shocking, as are the threats of reprisals against all journalists.” Help by sharing this information South KoreaUnited KingdomAsia – PacificAmericasAfricaEurope – Central AsiaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesInternational bodiesEvents Freedom of expression The IOC decided to ban news agency Reuters from covering Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games opening ceremony (photo: Mladen Antonov/AFP). News June 2, 2021 Find out more Mongolia : RSF urges presidential candidates to voice support for press freedom Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists The IOC found itself embroiled in a media controversy during the Beijing Summer Olympics ten years ago, when then IOC president Jacques Rogge personally intervened to deny that the head of the IOC press committee had told the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post that IOC members had negotiated the blocking of certain “sensitive” websites during the coverage of the 2008 Olympics. Follow the news on Asia – Pacific News RSF_en News China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Receive email alerts Organisation June 7, 2021 Find out more to go further News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to rescind its decision to ban Reuters from covering the Winter Olympics opening ceremony in Pyeongchang, South Korea, because it published embargoed photos. RSF regards the ban as disproportionate. South KoreaUnited KingdomAsia – PacificAmericasAfricaEurope – Central AsiaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesInternational bodiesEvents Freedom of expression February 6, 2018 – Updated on August 23, 2019 RSF decries Olympics opening ceremony ban on Reuters June 2, 2021 Find out more
Continuing NAFCU’s credit union priorities push for the new year, association President and CEO Dan Berger and Vice President of Legislative Affairs Brad Thaler were on Capitol Hill Wednesday to meet with credit union champion Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., and her senior staff. As chair of the House Financial Services Committee, Waters plays an instrumental role in the development of policy that impacts credit unions and their ability to serve members.Industry growth remains NAFCU’s No. 1 priority, and its 2020 legislative and regulatory priorities are all developed with credit union input to ensure the industry’s continued success. The association has met with several lawmakers in recent weeks, and also sent the priorities to key officials, including President Donald Trump.NAFCU has a strong working relationship with Waters. The association’s 2019 September/October edition of The NAFCU Journal featured a Q&A with Waters, providing insights into her approach as a lawmaker and to ensure a fair playing field for credit unions. The magazine was published ahead of Waters’ appearance at NAFCU’s Congressional Caucus, at which she pledged to oppose efforts to remove credit unions’ tax-exempt status and support efforts to allow credit unions to lend to more small businesses. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »
SENIOR STUDS: New Hampshire’s Sean Sutherlin, Nick Guadarrama and Chris Lester have combined to account for 46 percent of the team’s scoring this season and have scored 42 percent of all Wildcats points over the last five games.FACILITATING THE OFFENSE: Sam Sessoms has either made or assisted on 61 percent of all Binghamton field goals over the last three games. The sophomore guard has 31 field goals and 17 assists in those games.WINLESS WHEN: Binghamton is 0-18 when scoring fewer than 75 points and 10-0 when scoring at least 75.LONG-RANGE THREAT: New Hampshire’s Josh Hopkins has attempted 180 3-pointers and connected on 30.6 percent of them, and is 4 for 15 over his past three games.DID YOU KNOW: The stout New Hampshire defense has held opposing offenses to a field goal percentage of 39.4 percent, the 27th-lowest mark in Division I. Binghamton has allowed opponents to shoot 45.2 percent through 28 games (ranking the Bearcats 292nd). Associated Press New Hampshire looks to sweep Binghamton Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditBinghamton (10-18, 4-11) vs. New Hampshire (14-13, 7-7)Lundholm Gym, Durham, New Hampshire; Saturday, 1 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: New Hampshire goes for the season sweep over Binghamton after winning the previous matchup in Vestal. The teams last met on Jan. 25, when the Wildcats shot 52.6 percent from the field while holding Binghamton to just 35.9 percent on the way to a 77-69 victory. February 27, 2020 ___For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com
It took less than a full season in Dallas for Amari Cooper to make a lasting impression.But his statistics are the only numbers he’s looking to discuss, as the Cowboys wide receiver reiterated he doesn’t care to talk about his finances and isn’t striving to become one of the league’s highest-paid players. Cowboys’ Amari Cooper lobbies for teammate Dak Prescott to get paid “If you play good football, you’re going to be around for a long time. I do want to be a Dallas Cowboy for a long time. I love the organization. I love everything we have going on.”Cooper expressed patience for the process and acknowledged his contract extension will come in time, though he clarified the meaning behind his earlier comments and said he wants to prove that he’s earned a new deal first. Dak Prescott says there’s no ceiling on what Cowboys can do Jalen Ramsey restrains himself from ripping opposing QBs Cooper, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, told reporters Monday he’s not worried about his status.”It really doesn’t matter to me — not even thinking about that,” Cooper said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I’m just more focused on how I play and how I approach the game, the type of work that I put in. I really want to play well. I think everything starts with that. Related News “I think I’m just scratching the surface,” Cooper said. “I think people haven’t seen half of what I can do out there on the field. I have so much more great plays in me, so much more good football ahead of me. My best football is ahead of me.”I just turned 25 years old. A lot of the great receivers in this game are older than I am. I think I just have so much in store. That’s what I meant by ‘not now.'”Cooper led Dallas with 725 yards on 53 catches and had six touchdowns in nine games last season after being acquired from the Raiders in October.
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Sumner Newscow report â€” The Wellington City Council will be meeting twice in the next two days. The council has a work session tonight. It will be meeting with Jodi Suhler and Stacy Davis of the South Central Economic Development Commission about the application process. Also, the city board/commission will be going over appointments for various authority and advisory boards.This meeting starts at 5:30 p.m.â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”The Council will then be meeting at noon Friday for a special meeting.The council will be discussing the acquisition of real estate in executive session. Then there will be a discussion about the golf course irrigation system.Â The council is also expected to make an appointment to the Planning Commission to fill the vacancy of Diana Page, who was the commission board president. She died earlier this month.â€”â€”â€”â€”There has been discussion on the social media Facebook that the city did not properly inform the media and public of the Friday noon meeting. Sumner Newscow received the e-mail on Monday, Jan. 25. It was overlooked on the e-mail list by the Newscow publisher because the person who normally sends out the notifications, Robin Hubbard, is out of the office due to health reasons.Follow us on Twitter.
A lucky 67-year-old man is now $1 million richer after winning the Florida Lottery’s CASH4LIFE Quick Pick raffle.Larry Clark of Riviera Beach was named the winner of the Lottery’s November 23rd multi-state game drawing.According to the report, Clark purchased the winning ticket from Grator Gator Food Market at 1245 Blue Heron Blvd.He was given the choice of receiving $1,000 a day or $1,000 week for the rest of his life. He was also given the option to take a one-time, lump-sum payment of $1 million. Clark was said to have chosen the lump-sum payment.The Food Market that sold the winning ticket also received a $2,000 bonus commission for the sale.CASH4LIFE drawings are held every day at 9 p.m. at the New Jersey Lottery Headquarters.
A new general bill at the Florida Legislature is aiming to provide easier access to fireworks on 3 different holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day and New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day.This new bill is still awaiting to go through one more House and Senate Committee vote.At the moment, you have to be at least 18 years old to purchase fireworks, and are required to fill out paperwork depending on the type of fireworks you buy.The new bill will allow fireworks for sale, purchase, or use of fireworks that are to be used exclusively during a designated holiday.
(Belfast, Northern Ireland) — Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has a new job. She’s been appointed the first female chancellor at Queen’s University in Northern Ireland. Clinton, a former first lady and New York senator, received an honorary doctorate from the University in 2018. She won’t be paid for the job, which is largely ceremonial, and won’t have to relocate to Belfast so technically she can still jump into the 2020 presidential race if the Democrats need her.Her primary duties will include handing out degrees, advising senior management and serving as an ambassador to help open doors for Queen’s University.Stephen Prenter, chair of the university’s Senate, heaped praise on Clinton, who received an honorary doctorate from Queen’s University in October 2018.“I am delighted that Queen’s has chosen Hillary Clinton to be its new Chancellor. Secretary Clinton has made a considerable contribution to Northern Ireland and as an internationally recognized leader will be an incredible advocate for Queen’s and an inspirational role model for the Queen’s community,” he gushed.In a statement, Clinton, who will not be paid for the job, praised the university.“It is a great privilege to become the Chancellor of Queen’s University, a place I have great fondness for and have grown a strong relationship with over the years,” she said.“The University is making waves internationally for its research and impact and I am proud to be an ambassador and help grow its reputation for excellence.”Clinton will serve as the university’s 11th chancellor, which is largely a ceremonial role, for a five-year term.The chancellor, according to the university, attends graduations, advises staff and helps to “open doors” for the university as it seeks to fulfill its mission.
Florida voters will not have the opportunity to vote in this year’s election on whether assault weapons should be banned.A proposed ban did not receive the 766,200 signatures it needed to be placed on the ballot.Supporters of the measure say they are now focusing their efforts on putting the question to voters in the 2022 election. The group that is pushing the petition — Ban Assault Weapons Now — collected 145,000 verified signatures during the past year. The deadline for the signature requirement was February 1.“Despite the best efforts of the NRA and politicians in Tallahassee to place obstacles in our path, we will continue our fight to save lives by working hard to ensure voters have the final say over their safety in 2022,” Gail Schwartz, Ban Assault Weapons Now’s chairwoman, says in a prepared statement.The proposal calls for banning the sale of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns capable of holding more than 10 bullets. That policy would include weapons like the AR-15 rifle.The statewide campaign formed following the 2018 Parkland shooting.However, the Republican-controlled Florida Legislature has been unwilling to hear bills that would ban the weapons.