10 months agoHakan Calhanoglu insists he’s happy with AC Milan

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Hakan Calhanoglu insists he’s happy with AC Milanby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveHakan Calhanoglu insists he’s happy at AC Milan.There’s been claims he will be sold next month.“I’m happy at Milan,” Calhanoglu told DAZN.“I’m happy with [Rino] Gattuso and his staff. I feel at home here in Milan.“The relationship [with Gattuso] is really good, even when he gets angry with me. I accept that, because he’s a good Coach with a winning mentality.“When it happens you’re better off not saying anything, otherwise you’ll get a clip round the ear…” last_img read more

Read More

10 months agoBarcelona midfielder Rakitic: Valverde must decide his future

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Barcelona midfielder Rakitic: Valverde must decide his futureby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic says the players are happy playing for coach Ernesto Valverde.Valverde’s deal is up in the summer but he does have an option to extend it by an additional year. The coach says a decision will be made with the club later in the season.”It’s an issue for the boss and the club [to decide on],” Rakitic said. “We’re really happy with him and the whole coaching setup.”The most normal [scenario] would be that he continues with us, but we have to focus on our job, which is playing and winning football games. Let them [the club and Valverde] decide what’s for the best.” last_img read more

Read More

Privateclinic trial resumes as BC aims to take action against doctors

first_imgVANCOUVER – Excruciating pain had Tamara Parrales heading to the emergency department multiple times for nearly a year, and when a specialist brought up the possibility of ovarian cancer, she wasn’t prepared to wait several months for an MRI in the public system.Parrales, 36, made the decision to pay $1,100 to have the diagnostic test in a private clinic last fall and finally had surgery in March.“If they say you might have cancer and then you have to wait four to six months to find out if you do, that should be urgent enough that they should get you in as soon as possible,” she said, adding the MRI showed she had endometriosis.“It was almost a year before I had surgery and the reason for that is the surgeon has only one day a month of operating time,” Parrales said.Starting in October, British Columbia doctors who charge patients for medically necessary procedures will face initial fines of $10,000 as the province enforces a law that hadn’t been fully enacted for 15 years.The stance against doctors illegally billing patients for private health care already covered by the public system coincides with the resumption of a B.C. Supreme Court battle by a surgeon who argues for a patients’ constitutional right to speedier treatment.The case launched by Dr. Brian Day is set to resume on Monday, and he said he may consider applying for an injunction against the law on private health announced last week by Health Minister Adrian Dix.Day said his Cambie Surgery Centre, along with the province’s 56 private surgical facilities and 17 others that provide MRIs, helps keep waiting lists down in the public system.He said private clinics may be forced to close when the law goes into effect, allowing the province to investigate so-called extra billing practices and penalize physicians who don’t reimburse patients like Parrales.“The government is in court denying that wait lists are a problem and denying there’s any harm from wait lists,” he said.Quoting statistics from the B.C. College of Physicians and Surgeons that show 60,000 to 70,000 patients a year go to private clinics, Day asks if they are transferred into public health care, “how does that help the system?”Private clinics are not illegal, though billing for medically necessary care is a violation of the Canada Health Act.Health authorities regularly contract out to private facilities for eye surgeries and other procedures that are paid for by public money, a practice that Dix said will continue.Dr. Trina Larsen Soles, president of Doctors of BC, said the medical association for the province’s physicians supports patients having access to care regardless of their ability to pay.“I understand the imperative of physicians who are struggling with not being able to provide the care that they want to because of limited operating-room capacity,” she said, adding she’s hoping the government will deliver on recent commitments to increase the number of hip and knee replacements through measures including more efficient use of operating rooms.The province also aims to do 37,000 more MRIs by March 2019.Larsen Soles said private facilities may play a role in reducing wait lists in the public system.“If indeed the government wants to address the waiting lists they’re going to have to utilize every bit of capacity they can, both public and private. So we are encouraged by the fact that they are going to wait until October and they’re open to negotiating with the owners and operators with these private facilities to look at what the transition might look like and how they can use them going forward to provide access to patients,” she said.“If they cause the private facilities to go under without any backup plan then they’ve done a disservice to the patients.”Christine Sorensen, acting president of the B.C. Nurses Union, said nurses will be outside B.C. Supreme Court on Monday at a rally, organized by the Council of Canadians, before the resumption of the trial, where the BC Health Coalition and Canadian Doctors for Medicare are interveners.“My nursing colleagues across Canada, their nursing unions, strongly endorse universal public health care, strongly endorse medicare, and believe that private clinics are not the solution for patients across Canada. Far from being what people would call a relief valve, we believe that they’re a drain on the public health-care system.”— Follow @CamilleBains1 on Twitter.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version misattributed a quotation about the government denying in court that wait lists are a problem to Health Minister Adrian Dix.last_img read more

Read More

Reds Indians week in review

Cleveland IndiansThe Cleveland Indians struggled offensively once again, going 2-4 in series’ against the Los Angeles Angels and the Minnesota Twins.After taking only one of three from the Angels, the Tribe returned home and only won one in a weekend series against the division-leading Twins.The Indians are 10-14, 5-and-a-half games behind the Twins in the American League Central and in third place behind Detroit.Studs: Austin Kearns. The former Cincinnati Reds slugger had a big week, with seven hits and six RBIs in three games against the Angels. He came into Sunday’s game against Minnesota hitting .357, with two home runs and 12 RBIs.Duds: The offense. The Indians’ offense continues to be a major disappointment, with an American League-worst 85 runs. Those fortunes could change when highly touted catching prospect Carlos Santana gets called up from the Columbus Clippers.Up Next: The Indians continue their homestand with three games against Toronto beginning Monday and a three-game weekend series with the Detroit Tigers. Cincinnati RedsStep by step, the Reds are creeping back from a sluggish start to the season.The Reds opened up their week on the road with a three-game series at Houston.For the first time this season, Reds fans had their chance to bring out the brooms, as the Reds swept the series against the Astros.Pitchers Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo had some solid outings, each recording a win in the first and third games of the series respectively, and Mike Leake continued a brilliant start to his professional career recording a win off his seven-inning, five-hit performance in the second game.Pitcher Johnny Cueto helped the Reds’ win-streak get to five games on Friday, as the Reds won at St. Louis.The streak then came to an end Saturday as the Reds couldn’t match the Cardinals’ late-game surge, losing the game 6-3.Studs: The Rotation. At the beginning of the season, it seemed like these guys were never going to win a game for the Reds. In just this past week, Harang, Leake, Arroyo and Cueto all recorded wins, and didn’t leave it up to late game heroics to ensure a Reds’ win.Duds: Jonny Gomes. It was tough because no one Red had a really bad week. Gomes has only two hits in 15 at-bats over the last six games, though, and he’s a liability in the field as it is.Next Week: The Reds come back home this week as they host a series with the Mets today, and then get a day off before hosting a three-game series against the Cubs. read more

Read More

17 killed after nightclub brawl in Venezuela

first_imgBarbara Barca, right, a survivor of the stampede at a crowded nightclub, cries as she leaves police headquarters in Caracas, Venezuela on 16 June. Photo: APSeventeen people were killed at a crowded nightclub in Venezuela’s capital Saturday after a tear gas device exploded during a brawl and triggered a desperate stampede among hundreds gathered for a graduation celebration, government officials said.Interior minister Nestor Reverol said the incident at the “Los Cotorros” club in the middle-class neighbourhood of El Paraiso left eight minors dead and five injured. Eight people were detained, including two teens believed responsible for setting off the tear gas canister.Family members wept and embraced one another after identifying the remains of their loved ones at a nearby hospital. Outside the club, several mismatched shoes, including a sandal with a puckered red lip decoration, lay on the sidewalk.“All I know is my son is dead,” Nilson Guerra, 43, told local journalists.More than 500 people were believed to be inside the club when the fight broke out. Julio Cesar Perdomo said his injured son told him the tear gas was launched from inside a bathroom and that partygoers tried to flee but found the club’s door closed. Pictures posted by Reverol on Twitter show a narrow staircase leading to a metal door.“The kids couldn’t leave,” Perdomo said.Officials did not provide any information to confirm or deny Perdomo’s account.The club is officially called “El Paraiso” but is more widely known as “Los Cotorros” or “The Chatterboxes.” Photos shared online from previous celebrations at the club show a dark interior with wooden tables and a stage upfront where DJs shuffled songs. Green painted metal bars and gates covered the doors and windows.Outside, a faded sign on the red brick building read “We’ve opened!”Jesus Armas, an opposition councilman who lives in the neighbourhood, said the Interior Ministry should explain how a civilian was able to obtain tear gas canisters that should only be utilized by state security forces. He also urged authorities to investigate whether the club had permission to hold several hundred people inside.“That’s not a big space and that should not be authorized,” he said.He added that other violent incidents had taken place inside the club, which is frequently used by the Ecuadorean immigrant community for parties and political events. Several campaign signs for Ecuadorean politicians were hung outside the building.Police have detained the owner of the club for “not guaranteeing adequate supervision and preventing the entry of any type of weapon.” No information on the owner’s name, exact charges or current whereabouts was immediately provided.“The establishment has been ordered closed, and we are investigating in coordination with the public ministry, which is directing the criminal investigation,” Reverol said.Caracas is one of the most violent capitals in the world and the country is engulfed in a deepening economic crisis that has forced hundreds of thousands to flee. The Venezuelan Observatory of Violence estimates about 26,600 people were killed in 2017.The crime wave, coupled with a clattering economy, has extinguished much of Venezuela’s once vibrant nightlife and left many families hesitant to let their teenage children out after dark. Relatives of those inside the club said the party was a celebration for the graduating class of several different high schools. Some parents had been hesitant to let their children attend.Haide Berrio, the aunt of a 17-year-old boy killed in the melee, told local media she went running out to find her nephew in the middle of the night after hearing about the commotion at the club and knowing that he was attending the party.Relatives of the boy found him among the dead and said he was killed by asphyxia.Her eyes sunken in grief, she said all the family wants now is for the club to be permanently closed and the owner held responsible.“I am asking for justice,” she said.Many victim relatives echoed her call for accountability.Yoanna Aponte said her 16-year-old cousin died after suffering cranial trauma when she tried to escape and was crushed by the stampede.“She fell to the ground,” she said between wails, “and all the kids stumbled over her.”last_img read more

Read More

Thanksgiving Meals in the Baltimore Area

first_imgThanksgiving Meals in the Baltimore Area 11/25Lansdowne United Methodist Church. Dinner the day before Thanksgiving. 114 Lavern Ave, Lansdowne, MD 21227. 4 p.m. to 7p.m. 410-247-4624 11/26Bea Gaddy Family Center. Event will take place at Patterson Park Recreation Center. 2601 E Baltimore St, Baltimore, MD 21224. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 410-563-2749American Rescue Workers. Dinner will be served at 6:00 p.m. 1401 S. Hanover Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. (410) 566-3300.last_img

Read More

Tonight AFROs First Edition with Sean Yoes Thursday August 3

first_imgListen at WEAA Live Stream: http://amber.streamguys.com.4020/live.m3uOn the eve of the Baltimore CeaseFire (August 4-6), which has garnered international attention,  we conclude our series of conversations on violence and homicide, focused on solutions, with two of the movement’s organizers, Erricka Bridgeford and Ellen Gee.These stories and much more on AFRO’s First Edition with Sean Yoes, Monday through Friday, 5-7 p.m.last_img

Read More

Cardinals Send 15 to the Finals after Day 3 Preliminaries

first_imgIn platform diving, Molly Fears qualified third after five rounds of dives. Michaela Sliney scored points with a 10th place finish and freshman Anika Holland placed 22nd. Print Friendly Version The Cardinals send three in to the finals of the 400-IM. Sophie Cattermole put up a 4:12.09 and qualified sixth overall for the A-final. Maria Sumida clocked in at 4:16.70 in her heat and returns in the B-final. Carley Lowe turned in a 4:20.36 to make the C-Final.  Grace Oglesby put up the third fastest qualifying time in the 100 butterfly to make the A-Finals.  In the B-final for the Cards will be Alena Kraus, who put up a 53.44 and Nastja Govejsek, who went 53.37. Story Links The University of Louisville will send 15 Cardinals into the finals tonight after a fast day of preliminaries at the 2019 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships Friday night at the Greensboro Aquatic Center.center_img Kaylee Wheeler qualified fourth in the 100 breaststroke and will swim in the A-final with a time of 59.75.  Also in the A final will be Mariia Astashkina, who had a time of 59.85 and Morgan Friesen, who turned in a 59.98. Avery Braunecker made the C-final of the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:01.6  along with Lauren James, who boarded a 1:02.07. Alina Kendzior made the B-final of the 100 backstroke with a time of 53.43. Ashlyn Schoof went 54.38 and Lainey Visscher had a 54.84 in other performances. Mallory Comerford earned a second swim for the A-final of her signature event, the 200 freestyle. She stopped the clock at 1:44.38.  Joining her in the A-final will be Arina Openysheva, who put up a prelim time of 1:45.91. Diana Dunn posted a time of 1:47.65 to make the B-final.  Casey Fanz put up a time of 1:50.78 to round out the Cardinal field.last_img read more

Read More

Yaroch Marino Governor has duty to decide on requests for removal of

first_img Issue surrounding Macomb Township trustee inspires legislationState Reps. Jeff Yaroch, left, and Steve Marino submit House Bill 6437 to the House enrolling clerk.State Reps. Jeff Yaroch and Steve Marino have introduced a plan requiring the governor’s office to promptly make a determination when anyone makes a formal request for the removal of an elected official due to gross neglect of duty or corrupt conduct in office.The legislators, who each represent a portion of Macomb Township in the Michigan House, crafted the legislation because Macomb Township officials still have not received a determination based on a letter they sent in January calling on Gov. Rick Snyder to exercise his authority to remove Macomb Township Trustee Dino Bucci from office.“This situation has gone on far too long,” Yaroch said. “If the governor won’t take action to remove Bucci, he at least has a duty to tell them that he will not be taking action. Macomb Township residents deserve better than lip service. When the governor was the CEO of Gateway, I doubt he would have kept an employee who was no call/no show for 11 months.”Bucci was indicted by a federal grand jury in November 2017 on 18 counts of conspiracy, bribery, embezzlement, extortion, mail fraud and money laundering. The charges are in connection with public contracts in Macomb Township and the Macomb County Department of Public Works, where he worked until 2017. Bucci has not appeared at a single Macomb Township Board meeting since his indictment, but continues to collect a salary.“The serious criminal allegations against Bucci, combined with his failure to perform his duties, have caused him to lose the trust and confidence of his colleagues and the public,” Marino said. “I have too much respect for the hardworking taxpayers of Macomb Township to let a corrupt politician continue to collect a salary while shirking all of his responsibilities. It’s time for Bucci to go so Macomb Township can restore the governance the public deserves and the community can begin to heal.”Under the new legislation, if a Michigan resident submits a written request for the removal of an elected official to the governor, the governor would have 60 days to review the request and notify the requester of his or her determination.“This solution would establish a clear process any citizen could utilize to draw the governor’s attention to cases of corruption or gross neglect of duty,” Yaroch said. “We owe it to the people we serve to give them an answer.”The measure, House Bill 6437, was referred to the House Elections and Ethics Committee for consideration.### Categories: Marino News,Yaroch News 24Oct Yaroch, Marino: Governor has duty to decide on requests for removal of elected officialslast_img read more

Read More