SPENCER, Iowa (May 13) – Clay County Fair Speedway was first to pull the plug with cancellations and postponements following around the Midwest.Also KO’d on this unlucky Friday the 13th were Crawford County Speedway, Davenport Speedway, Dubuque Speedway, Fairmont Raceway, the Iowa State Fair Speedway, Lee County Speedway, Marshalltown Speedway, Oshkosh SpeedZone Raceway and Princeton Speedway.Maquoketa Speedway has canceled for Saturday.They’ve checked rain gauges in Wyoming as well. Cloud Peak Raceway has postponed from Friday to Saturday, Billings Motorsports Park has canceled Friday and Saturday, and Gillette Thunder Speedway will be silent on Saturday.
A statement on OL’s official website read: “Olympique Lyonnais informs of an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of Brazilian international Rafael da Silva, who will sign in the coming days a 4-year contract with OL, ie until June 30, 2019.” Reports in France suggested Lyon will pay up to £2.5million for the signature of the three-time Premier League winner. Rafael joined United along with his twin brother Fabio from Fluminense in 2008. Rafael went on to establish himself as a first-team regular under Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes, but new manager Louis van Gaal often overlooked the defender, choosing Antonio Valencia ahead of him. Rafael started just six Premier League games in the 2014-15 season, the last of which came on October 26 against Chelsea. And when Van Gaal signed right-back Matteo Darmian from Torino this summer, it was clear Rafael was surplus to requirements at Old Trafford. He becomes Lyon’s third summer signing after forward Claudio Beauvue from Guingamp and defender Jeremy Morel, who was a free transfer from Marseille. United wrote on Twitter: “#mufc wishes Rafael the best of luck with his new club as he prepares to join Olympique Lyonnais on a four-year deal.” The Ligue 1 club announced the 25-year-old defender will sign a four-year deal, until June 2019. Rafael was told he could leave United earlier this summer after being left out of the squad for the club’s pre-season tour of the United States. Press Association Brazilian right-back Rafael has agreed to move to Lyon from Manchester United.
(BBC) – THE Champions League final could be played outside of Europe, says new president Aleksander Ceferin.The Slovenian will revive an open bidding process to host the final and is open to it being staged in New York.“It might be an idea but we have to speak about it,” said Ceferin, who was named head of European football’s governing body last month.The 61 finals have all been held in Europe but Ceferin said travel to the U.S. would be “no problem” for fans.He added: “To go from Portugal to Azerbaijan for example is almost the same or the same as if you go to New York.“It’s a European competition so let’s think about it.”As it stands, UEFA awards the finals without any tendering process, with stadium hosts decided in secret by the leadership.“The bidding process should be very clear because if you get the Champions League finals or Europa League finals as a political favour then it’s not OK,” Ceferin said.
THE father-daughter combination and also pure racing teammates, Carlos and Paige Mendonca left an indelible mark on karting fans locally when they dominated their respective classes of the GT Motorsports third Georgetown Grand Prix on Friday evening.Paige, along with her 60CC compatriots were undoubtedly the stars of the night as they provided the most excitement for those gathered to witness the event at the GT Motorsports facility in Georgetown.Paige Mendonca hands over a trophy to her father during the presentation ceremony to underscore their dominance at the Third GT Motorsports Georgetown Grand Prix.In the first 60CC Sunburst kids Cup, She had to settle for second place behind Jeremy Ten Pow while Nathan Rahaman finished third. However,in races two and three, she was absolute gold.She returned in race two to cop the top spot ahead of Rahaman and Ten Pow.But it was in Race three where she showed why she is a force to be reckoned with.She took 10 laps of bumper to bumper pressure from Jeremy and handled it on par with a professional, forcing Jeremy to take second and Justin Ten Pow third.Meanwhile , in the Shifters, her father wasted little time in taking the first race under his belt after pulling out an early lead on the competition. Matthew Phang finished second while Michael Gonzalves ended third.Race two, however, which saw a 50 percent inverted grid meant that Mendonca had to start third. He eventually moved up to second, ahead of Gonzalves but failed to catch Elliot Vieira.In race three he had to settle for second, behind Stefan Jeffrey and ahead of Vieira, which was enough to gift him the Champion Driver trophy.In the Easy Cup Rookie, Raymond Baksh was untouchable in making a clean sweep on the night as did Shan Seejattan in the heavy class.In the Easy Cup light, newcomer Jean Claude Jeffrey picked up one first and two third places to be crowned champion driver.In the 125cc class, Junior Mikhail Persaud also retained his title with two wins and a third place finish while John Phang won the senior Division.The event saw over forty karters taking part in seven divisions
FIFA President, Gianni Infantino There was a 16.3% rise in spending in the women’s games, to $652,032 (£497,000).The United States had the most players – at almost 20% – of the 833 transfers made in the women’s game.The were 18,042 such moves – also a record – in the men’s game, involving 15,463 players of 178 different nationalities.“It is remarkable to see a new record number of transfers in the men’s market,” said FIFA Chief Legal and Compliance Officer, Dr Emilio Garcia Silvero.“We observe, as well, increasing all-round figures in the women’s market, which is a sign of the positive overall development of women’s football over the last year which we trust will continue in 2020.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram A record $7.35bn (£5.6bn) was spent on transfers in men’s football during 2019, according to a report by world governing body FIFA yesterday.The figure is an increase of more than 5.8% on 2018 when it comes to transfers across the globe.English clubs spent £1.5bn, which was a 22.1% decrease from 2018 but still the most overall.
Special Olympics World Games celebrated its 100 Days Away Activation Thursday at the corner of McClintock Avenue and Jefferson Boulevard in anticipation of the upcoming summer games.Several locations throughout Los Angeles will be used for the games, including various venues at USC. The Los Angeles MemorialColiseum will host the opening and closing ceremonies while other campus facilities like the Galen Center, Cromwell Field and the Uytengsu Aquatic Center will host sporting events. This summer will be the first time since 1984 that Los Angeles has hosted a summer Special Olympics World Games.The 100 Days Away event was celebrated in several areas in Southern California, with host towns putting on local festivities. Residents of Huntington Beach piled surfboards on the sand, while the city of Santa Monica lit up the Ferris wheel with colors matching the Special Olympics World Games logo. Los Angeles International Airport also participated in promotion of the event by lighting up the airport’s pylons with the Game’s colors. A mural for the Games was further unveiled at the Coliseum.At USC, the event promoted awareness of the games by inviting students to take pictures with the Circle of Inclusion, a symbolic ring reflecting the logo’s colors. McCall Hall, director of communication relations and fan development for the games, said the logo represents connections among participants.“The circle features colors from each one of the delegations that is coming this summer. It also represents the diversity in L.A. in general,” Hall explained. “The figure in the middle of the circle is striking a celebratory pose. There’s been a lot of medical research and findings that indicate, even if you’re deaf or [blind], you still — out of excitement and joy — raise your arms.”The event also featured Uncle Bob’s Honey Dipped Fried Chicken food truck, and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Special Olympics. The owner, Robert Copher, offered his truck for the event because of his close connection with Special Olympics, since he has a daughter with autism who bowls and plays soccer.“Normally, we’re parked downtown so I was supposed to be somewhere else today. But for this cause I would absolutely be here,” Copher said.Hall said the main goal of the event is to secure attendance for the sporting events, and she said USC students who will be near USC over the summer are encouraged to attend. According to Hall, the only ticketed events are the opening and closing ceremonies. The sporting events are otherwise for students.“We have a goal of 500,000 people coming out. We have 25 sports at 27 different venues this summer. The Galen Center will host basketball every single day so we’ve got space for 4,500 every day,” she said. “We have athletes coming from around the world, and one thing we don’t want is for the athletes to come to empty stands. So we have a program called ‘Fans in the Stands’ that is all about creating an atmosphere of excitement for our athletes.”Erica Barin, a senior majoring in health promotion and disease prevention studies, plans to volunteer for the summer games. Barin, who works at the student health center, said her interest in kids with disabilities carried over into the Special Olympics.“I’ve been really into … helping kids out in general. Having this event happen on campus is really cool so it’s the best of both worlds for me,” Barin said.The opening ceremony will take place on July 25 at the Coliseum. The rest of the games will take place from July 26 through Aug. 2.
A whirlwind first day of NBA free agency wrapped up on Sunday night with several faces heading to new places, including Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant (Nets), D’Angelo Russell (Warriors), Kemba Walker (Celtics) and Al Horford (76ers).With Golden State losing its share of star power to free agency (Durant) and injury (Klay Thompson) and Kawhi Leonard potentially leaving the defending champion Raptors, the NBA is wide open, meaning several teams have enticing championship odds. Take these odds with a grain of salt since the NBA season doesn’t even start for another three-plus months, but it’s always fun to take stock of the league. Below is a look at the updated NBA championship odds after the flurry of moves on Sunday.2020 NBA championship odds(Odds via SuperBookUSA as of 6/30)TeamOddsLos Angeles Lakers3/2Milwaukee Bucks13/2Philadelphia 76ers10/1Golden State Warriors10/1Los Angeles Clippers12/1Houston Rockets12/1Utah Jazz14/1Toronto Raptors14/1Denver Nuggets18/1Brooklyn Nets25/1Boston Celtics25/1Oklahoma City Thunder30/1Portland Trail Blazers30/1Dallas Mavericks50/1San Antonio Spurs50/1New Orleans Pelicans50/1Indiana Pacers60/1Miami Heat100/1Sacramento Kings100/1Orlando Magic100/1Atlanta Hawks200/1Chicago Bulls200/1Minnesota Timberwolves200/1Phoenix Suns200/1Memphis Grizzlies200/1New York Knicks200/1Detroit Pistons300/1Washington Wizards300/1Charlotte Hornets1000/1Cleveland Cavaliers1000/1 MORE: Signings, trades from the first day of NBA free agencyDespite missing the playoffs last season, the Lakers, who already have LeBron James and Anthony Davis — and could be adding Leonard — have the best odds to win the 2020 NBA Finals at 3/2. The Bucks and 2019 NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo are right behind with 13/2 odds, while the 76ers and Warriors (10/1) sit in a tie for third. Notably, the Nets, who signed both Irving and Durant, sit at 25/1, behind nine other teams. With Durant likely to miss the entire season and Irving replacing Russell on a team that was the No. 7 seed in the East last season, the odds make some sense. But if you believe Irving will flourish in his new surroundings with a solid supporting cast — which includes newly-signed center DeAndre Jordan — then by all means make them your pick. Hornets and Cavaliers fans, it may be time to shift your focus to the 2020 lottery. The two East teams are the biggest longshots to hold up the Larry O’Brien Trophy in 2020 at 1000/1.
Todd Gurley wants people to ‘stop putting this bad energy on my knee’ His teammate, running back Melvin Gordon, on the other hand, remains absent from training camp amid his contract holdout. Still, Rivers is hopeful the two sides will reach an agreement soon so Gordon can get back to work.“If it does, awesome,” Rivers said. “You want our team to have the best chance to win. Hopefully we see Melvin soon. I think Melvin adds a great deal to our team.”The Chargers selected Gordon out of Wisconsin with the No. 15 pick in the 2015 draft. He has rushed for 3,628 yards and scored 38 total touchdowns during his four-year career. There are a number of players after new contracts this year, but Philip Rivers isn’t one of them.Speaking Saturday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, the Chargers quarterback insisted he’s content playing out the final year of his current deal. “I feel fine playing this thing out,” Rivers said, per Pro Football Talk. “The expectation and hope is to be here again next year, but it doesn’t need to be done right now. If it were to some time soon, great. If not, let’s play it out and worry about it in the winter.”Chargers owner Dean Spanos wouldn’t speculate when the team would re-sign Rivers but guaranteed in May the two sides will eventually agree to a new contract. Related News Cardinals cut ‘not in shape’ Robert Nkemdiche after 3 seasons “It’s gonna happen, it will happen,” Spanos said at the time, via the Orange County Register. “We have an understanding, as long (Rivers) wants to be here, we want him here. We love Philip Rivers, you can’t say enough great things about him. I don’t think the contract issue is a big thing for us or for him.”Rivers, who is in the final season of his four-year deal worth $83.25 million, had previously stressed that he’s in no rush to get his contract extension and would like to play through the 2020 season when the Chargers are set to move to their new stadium. Chiefs’ Tyreek Hill apologizes for crude language in leaked audio, denies beating son
Vic Fangio’s first game with the Broncos could be a painful one.The newly minted head coach in Denver spent Thursday afternoon in the hospital getting treatment for a kidney stone but will still coach in the Hall of Fame Game, a team spokesman said. Broncos HC Vic Fangio was taken to the hospital by a team physician this afternoon and was treated for a kidney stone.He is planning on coaching tonight’s game against the Falcons. https://t.co/5GKJIksxfb— Patrick Smyth (@psmyth12) August 1, 2019The 60-year-old former defensive coordinator of the Bears is going to try to tough it out. Related News Melvin Gordon requested trade from Chargers amid holdout, report says Broncos executive vice president Patrick Smyth confirmed on Twitter an ESPN report that Fangio had been hospitalized earlier in the day. Maybe someone should tell him this is just the preseason. There’s no reason to play hurt.In all seriousness, this will be Fangio’s first game at the helm for the Broncos. Denver will be taking on the Falcons at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.
It’s not clear how many arrests were made in the seizures or if any Americans were involved. (Port Everglades, FL) — The U.S. Coast Guard offloaded tons of drugs this morning at Port Everglades seized during 18 interdictions in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific. The haul is estimated to contain 27,000 pounds of cocaine and 11,000 pounds of marijuana. The drugs have an estimated street value of nearly $400-million.