“Under Blake’s presidency Jamaica has had its best performances on the world stage in track and field as at the Beijing Olympics in 2012 the country was second overall of 212 Federations while at the recent Rio Olympic Games we stood tall. We have also had outstanding results at the World Youth and World Junior Champion-ships, and we continue to dominate at the Carifta Games and those are indications that our president is doing an excellent job,” Gayle reasoned. There could, however, be some changes on the new executive body with Gayle, without revealing the identities of the non-returning members confirmed the developments. “All I can say at this moment is that a press release will soon be out and the public will know who the members are who will make up the new executive,” said Gayle. BEST PERFORMANCES Dr Warren Blake will be returned unopposed as president of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) at next Tuesday’s Annual General Meeting set for the Medallion Hall Hotel. Blake, who ascended to the post following the death of then President Howard Aris in November 2011, was earlier this year expected to face a challenge, but will now be ushered into another four-year term along with his executive, following the closing of nominations on Saturday. The incumbent has no company for the presidential post with JAAA general secretary Garth Gayle confirming this in a recent chat with The Gleaner. “At closing time of nomination on Saturday, November 19 only one group had been nominated where the election will only be contested by the 17 members from the group and the only thing left to be done is for these 17 members to be ratified by the members of the committee,” said Gayle, who has held his position in the association since 2000. Earlier in the year there were news swirling in the public that Blake would have been strongly challenged with a member of his own executive, Dave Myrie, the first vice-president heavily tipped to go against Blake. However, in an interview several weeks ago, Myrie hinted that he was not contesting the election. Giving his opinion on the reasons behind the lack of challenge, Gayle backed Blake’s stewardship of the organisation over the past five years. “I cannot speak why others have changed their mind, and I can only talk for mypresident. I think people have seen where he has done a great job and realised that it will be of no use in challenging him,” Gayle said.
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf will deliver her final annual message on Monday, January 23, to the members of the 53rd Legislature in a joint Session at the William R. Tolbert Jr. Assembly Hall in the Capitol Building.President Sirleaf’s appearance before the Lawmakers is in adherence to Article 58 of the Liberian Constitution which among other things mandates the Chief Executive to present her legislative agendas (programs), and inform the Legislature on the current state of affairs.Article 58 of the Constitution states: ‘The President shall, on the fourth working Monday in January of each year, present the administration’s legislative program for the ensuing session, and shall once a year report to the Legislature on the state of the Republic. In presenting the economic condition of theRepublic the report shall cover expenditure as well as income.’Next Monday’s State of the Nation Address will mark the 12th and the last annual message of Madam Sirleaf to the joint session of the Legislature, since her ascendency to the Presidency on January 16, 2006. The Joint Session of the 53rd Legislature will be presided over by Speaker J. Emmanuel Nuquay of the House of Representative and the co-presiding officer will be Vice President Joseph N. Boakai the President of the Senate. Customarily, the special joint session is called to order at about 3:55pm, and a motion to receive the President to deliver the Final Annual Message will be made and seconded, at which time the Chairmen (or Chairpersons) of the Executive Committees and Sergeants-at-arms from both Houses will escort the President from the entry of the Capitol Building to the Joint Chambers, on the 3rd floor. General Martin Johnson, Sergeant-at-arms of the House of Representatives will announce the presence of Madam President in the Joint Chambers and the President’s message is at 4:00PM.The President, without sitting, will stand for at least three hours to deliver the Nation’s Address to the Lawmakers and, immediately afterwards, proceed to the rotunda of the Capitol Building, for a reception. In presenting her legislative agenda, President Sirleaf is also expected to address a wide range of issues on the current state of the economic and security.According to the House Chief Clerk, Madam Mildred Sayon, the ceremony begins at 2:00 PM with the arrival of invited guests.This national convocation brings together the officials from the three branches, doyen and members of the diplomatic corps, chiefs and elders, political, religious and business leaders.Last year, President Sirleaf informed the lawmakers about the ailing state of the economy influenced largely by factors, including the quick decline in the country’s traditional exports of rubber and iron ore.The economy continued to experience suppressed growth owing not only to falling prices of prime export commodities and the effects of the Ebola Virus outbreak but also to the ongoing drawdown of the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) which mainly affected the service sector. Consequently, theGross Domestic Product (GDP) growth declined further to 0.3 percent in 2015 compared to the original forecast of 6.8 percent, the President told the lawmakers during her Annual Message Last year.Meanwhile, the President’s ‘final annual address’ will be given against the backdrop of a massive, US$600,000 renovation ongoing at the Capitol Building. Ministry of Public Works and the General Services Agency (GSA) in collaboration with the Maintenance Departments of the House and the Senate are doing the renovation work.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Picture: Amber Davy Dancers compete in the North Peace Highland Dance Competiton at Centennial Park. Picture: Amber Davy- Advertisement –The Stage North Theatre Society held a car wash, garage sale and BBQ in front of Fort Motors to raise money to travel to Mainstage. Picture: Amber DavyThe Fort St. John Public Library held a Book Sale at the North Peace Cultural Center. Picture: Amber DavyTwo racers compete in the Father’s Day Weekend Drag Races at the Fort St. John Airport Drag Strip.Advertisement
Paul Robinson has told Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino he must select Hugo Lloris between the sticks for the League Cup final.Pochettino has opted to rest the influential Frenchman and play back-up goalkeeper Michel Vorm in domestic cup competitions this season.Despite a costly error in the FA Cup defeat to Leicester at the weekend, Vorm was again given the nod for Wednesday night’s League Cup semi-final clash with Sheffield United.But, after seeing Spurs scrape through to book a meeting with Chelsea at Wembley, Robinson says the Dutchman must make way for Lloris for the big event.Robinson, who was in goal when Tottenham last won the competition in 2008, told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “If I was Hugo Lloris, I would be knocking the manager’s door down.“I was surprised he didn’t play last night to be honest. Jose Mourinho put out a team that he thought was his strongest to win the game [against Liverpool]. He played his first choice goalkeeper.“Vorm has not had the greatest of weeks. He played the League Cup the week before, played the FA Cup at the weekend. He has not had the best of times and Lloris hadn’t played for ten days so it is not as if he needed a rest.“He’s such an influential player and captain, I was surprised he was left out last night.”
Liverpool were fined 20,000 euros ($22,000) by UEFA for that incident and publicly apologised to City.But the rivalry on the field between the two sides has grown even more intense over the past 18 months after City pipped Liverpool to the Premier League title by a single point last season.“I’m a big believer of fan power — in the stadium. That’s completely different,” said Klopp on the previous attack on City’s bus.“That was a senseless thing. If somebody at Man City is concerned still, then it’s our fault.“Not that we did it all together, we all didn’t throw the bottle or whatever it was, but it was one of us. That’s why we are responsible.“All of us have to make sure that something like this will never happen again.”City boss Pep Guardiola repeated his criticism of the police for the lack of protection his side were given that night, but hopes it is the spectacle on the field that makes worldwide news come Sunday.“Hopefully it does not happen again,” said Guardiola. “The police knew it in the Champions League game before and didn’t do anything.“Hopefully it will be an incredible game at Anfield for the Premier League, for all (the people) around the world and hopefully the same thing is not going to happen as what happened two seasons ago.”On the field it is Liverpool who have the upper hand in the title race this time around as Klopp’s men enjoy a six-point lead at the top of the table after a brilliant start of 10 wins and one draw in their opening 11 games.Guardiola hailed the Reds as the “strongest team in the world” right now, but Klopp is also full of respect for the Catalan and pointed to slipping standards at Barcelona and Bayern Munich since Guardiola left as evidence of his impact.“For me he is the best manager in the world,” added Klopp. “Wherever he was he had a proper impact on his team. You can see when he is not there anymore the football looks differently, so that is something big.”0Shares0000(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has warned supporters to behave despite the heightened tension around Manchester City’s visit on Sunday © AFP/File / Oli SCARFFLIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Nov 8 – Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp called for a cauldron of an atmosphere when the European champions host Manchester City on Sunday, but warned fans against overstepping the line.City’s team bus was damaged by thrown bottles ahead of their Champions League quarter-final, first leg at Anfield in April 2018.
Daniel Sturridge scores the first of two goals for Liverpool in their 3-2 win against Aston Villa Alexis Sanchez hit a hat-trick in Arsenal’s 5-2 victory over Leicester City 7 7 7 7 Alexis Sanchez, Daniel Sturridge, Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney were without a Premier League goal this season prior to Saturday’s games.But they ended their droughts as Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester United all claimed victories on a dramatic day of action.See some of the best pictures of the quartet in the gallery above… 7 Daniel Sturridge’s two goals against Aston Villa were his first since March Wayne Rooney had not scored in 11 games in the Premier League before netting against Sunderland Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring for Manchester United in their 3-0 win over Sunderland 7 Harry Kane celebrates scoring for Tottenham in their 4-1 victory over Manchester City 7 Alexis Sanchez’s trio of goals were his first in eight games this season
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Abu Arrar, 58, is a member of Israel’s impoverished Bedouin Arab community. But even in a traditional nomadic society where men commonly have several wives and many children, Abu Arrar is exceptional. “I’m thinking about a new wife, No. 9,” he told the Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot in a recent interview. “There are many women who wish to marry me, and there is no lack of women. I never had a problem with such things.” During a visit to his multistory home in central Israel, The Associated Press spotted 17 of the children milling about, dressed in bright red, blue and green-embroidered Palestinian dresses and headscarves. Four veiled women, including two who said they were his wives, sat on the porch peeling vegetables. While Islam allows Muslim men to have four co-wives, it is a custom in Bedouin society to flout the already-generous ruling – and an Israeli ban on polygamy – by marrying women one at a time, divorcing them and marrying others, experts on Bedouin culture said. Culturally, it’s understood that the renounced wives are still married to Abu Arrar, they said. CULTURE: One man, who has 67 children, is twisting religious and secular polygamy rules. By Diaa Hadid THE ASSOCIATED PRESS EMEK HEFER, Israel – With eight wives and 67 children, Shahadeh Abu Arrar has given new meaning to the term “family man.” It’s unclear how Abu Arrar supports his massive family. Camels, goats and a cow were grazing on his property. Yediot said he also receives about $1,700 in government handouts each month. According to the Israeli Interior Ministry, Abu Arrar has 53 children registered as Israeli citizens. He has 14 other children born to Palestinian wives in the West Bank and who are not eligible for Israeli citizenship, his other wives said. “My first wife is my age, and today I hardly spend any time with her. Her children are big, and I leave her alone. I have younger wives to spend time with. Every night I decide which wife to be with,” Abu Arrar told the newspaper.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Another stunning shot from Adam.Adam Rory Porter’s photos certainly leave you feel like you’re on a different planet sometimes.The well-known Inishowen man is renowned for his breathtaking pictures of Donegal – often taken at night under a sky strewn with stars.This is anther one of his offerings which many of us only hope to capture a couple of time in a lifetime. Adam seems to come across them almost every week!Or then again, perhaps he’s a slight better photographer than most of us.This is how he summed up capturing his latest creation.“One of the best things (I think!) about Inishowen in County Donegal is our night skies. When there’s a wee break in the weather our dark skies light up with a billion stars which are just so easy to see up here. “It’s hard to beat being at the beginning of the Wild Atlantic Way.“I took this on a wee run out with my fellow Buncrana Camera Club members during one of our weekly field trips the other day. February’s competition theme was “The sky at night” and I was very luck to be chosen as the competition winner.“We have such an array of talent in the club who are happy and willing to teach others all they have learned. We are open to new members all year round whether you’re an absolute beginner or a seasoned pro!”IT’S A SKY STREWN WITH STARS – STUNNING PICTURE OF DONEGAL SKYLINE was last modified: February 27th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:adam rory porterBuncrana Camera ClubdonegalInishowenpicture
THE HUMBLE SPUD CAN COME WITH A HEFTY PRICE TAGFARMERS in Co Donegal selling potatoes directly to the public have been accused of damaging their own interests by charging too much for them.This bag of spuds – weighing 7lbs – cost one donegaldaily.com reader €5!That’s at least €2 more than the same bag of potatoes – and same variety – can be bought for in most shops. We are told the spuds were lovely….but seriously over-priced.And it could put customers off from buying directly from farmers.“I was driving from Letterkenny out of town along one of the back roads and I saw a sign and thought I’d pull over,” said the reader.“Like a lot of people I’d rather give my money directly to a local farming family and that cuts out the shops and the middle men, so the family gets the full profit. “I don’t mind paying the same price as the shops but I always thought it was a good responsible thing to do to give the money directly to farmers.“But my experiences recently and again this week is putting me off and I’ve talked to friends and family members and they are saying the same. I just think charging €5 for half a stone of spuds is completely unreasonable and all the farmers who do that are doing to their potential customers is putting them off.“The same thing can happen at some farmer’s market where you can be asked for €4 for half a dozen scones, when they are €1 in Tesco. Again I don’t mind paying a bit more, but not this.“If farmers and food producers want the support of the community, they need to stop charging these sort of prices. It’s just not sane.”Tell us what you think? You can leave a comment below:IS THIS DONEGAL’S MOST EXPENSIVE BAG OF SPUDS? was last modified: August 2nd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalfarmer’s marketsIS THIS DONEGAL’S MOST EXPENSIVE BAG OF SPUDS?letterkenny
Murdered: Oran DohertyDETECTIVES investigating the murders of 29 people including three schoolboys from Buncrana have tonight charged a man in the North.Seamus Daly, from Culloville, County Monaghan, was arrested by PSNI serious crime branch detectives in Newry on Monday in relation to the 1998 Omagh bomb. He was one of four men ordered to pay more than £1.5m in damages to the victims’ families in a civil case.The Buncrana boys who died were Oran Doherty, James Barker and Sean McLaughlin.It was the worst atrocity of the Troubles and was carried out by dissident terrorists calling themselves the Real IRA.The Donegal boys were on a trip to Omagh the day of the bombing.Daly, 43, was tonight charged with the murders of 29 people.MAN CHARGED WITH MURDERS OF DONEGAL SCHOOLBOYS IN OMAGH BLAST was last modified: April 10th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranachargedOmagh bombSeamus Daly